How does Timeline Software work
Timeline Software is a desktop program with a high-precision, dynamic zoom interface. This zooming canvas has a range from billions of years to subsecond time units. In fact, it ranges from sextillion years (1021 years), which is 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 years, to Yocto-Seconds (10-24 seconds), which is 0,000 000 000 000 000 000 000 001 seconds if we write the full number.
The interface has a live zoom that relocates instantaneously when browsing. For reference, a ruler with time units is always displayed. This time ruler is complemented with a seamless time-grid that covers the whole screen, for a better browsing experience.
The contents placed on this canvas are responsive. Timeline software may contain pretty much any object or event: from timeless galaxies down to dinosaurs and common people, and further down to ultra-fast events, such as electrons in a moving electric current.
Timeline items are real-world things with a defined duration, such as people and historical events. Timeline items consist of a name, line and sometimes, an icon. The icon and the item color help best relate the item to the real-world object.
The items are placed in the canvas and move accordingly. They may disappear off-screen while panning. They also change their appearance. For instance, item icons may collapse while zooming-out to free up space.
Timeline items are organized into rows and channels. Each timeline file may contain any number of channels, rows and items arranged in multiple available combinations. You can see different designs on the Timeline List.
How to create new timelines
Create and edit timelines using your own contents and designs. We provide an Excel template to build timelines for Timeline Software. Use this table template, ready with examples and instructions, to quickly create your timelines. See the advantages that Timeline Software offers:
- Create an unlimited number of new timelines.
- Add an unlimited number of events to each timeline.
- Add icons and hyperlinks to events.
- Add multiple dates to events to give them multiple lines.
- Style events using font and line settings like size, width, stroke, color and transparency.
- Distribute events on the timeline using tried-and-true layouts.
- Create event hierarchies.
Steps to make a new timeline
Add events to table
- Use the table in the excel file Template.xlsm to add events and work on timeline design and layout.
- Add media, such as icons and background pictures, to your timeline.
Transform table into timeline
- Export the Template.xlsm excel file to .csv format. Excel > File > Save As… > CSV (Comma delimited)
- Import the Template.csv file in Timeline Software. You can browse the timeline already! Timeline Software > Menu > Import .csv
- Save the .csv file as New_Timeline.tl (The “.tl” extension is used by Timeline Software). Timeline Software > File > Save As… > Save
Enjoy the new timeline
- You are now ready! Open and browse the new timeline with Timeline Software, anytime you need.
- Share your new timeline. Use the Timeline Software free version for anyone to open the new timeline.
How to print timelines
Print at Home
Use the print setup window to print timelines by yourself. Fit a timeline in a single paper sheet to save paper. Also, adjust the page distribution to get a tiled large format print, as long as the room wall in your classroom or office. Print your timelines or ready-made ones from our Timeline List. Make prints that suit your needs!
In addition, use Timeline Software to get a blank printable timeline template. Choose your desired timespan, timeline length and height. Get as much as blank space as you need. Also, choose the total number of pages and their arrangement.
Timeline Software allows users to print for personal use and for professional use, up to comfortable limit quantities, as specified in each subscription license.
Professional Prints & Print Distributions
All timelines in the Timeline List are available for print runs and publications upon request. Ask us for print-ready timelines in vector or .PDF file formats. All timelines are available in high quality for large format reproductions and plotter printing. Please, contact us to let us know your requirements and to ask for a tailored quote.
How to publish timelines online
All timelines in the Timeline List are available as online display upon request. Online access is also available for new and customized timelines.
Embed on Your Website
The online embedding service offers a quick and easy set-up to display timelines on your website, as simple as copying a few lines of code and uploading the desired timeline files. Please contact us to know more about this service and to let us know your requirements.
Publish With Us
Would you like to author timelines? Are you a professional historian? Are you an academic, researcher or graduate looking to publish historical timelines? With us you have the opportunity to use our software & publish on our website.
We encourage Digital Humanities by providing cutting edge technology to academia and research. We’re commited to creating high quality timelines, available to everyone. If you are interested, please, get in contact and tell us about your areas of expertise.
We adapt timelines in our Timeline List to fit your requirements. We will redesign, expand, merge or create new timelines according to your needs. The custom timelines will be available for you to browse on desktop and online. Also, as pdf/image file for printing.