Frequently Asked Questions
Timeline Software is a desktop program for Mac and Windows. It is used to create and browse interactive timelines. Timeline Software users can open and explore Timeline Files covering different historical topics.
- Download the installer: You may download the Free Version installer anytime from our website. The installer is also provided by direct download after purchase.
- Install Timeline Software: Run the installer and follow the instructions. You’ll need to bypass the Microsoft SmartScreen warning (see below).
- Enter the license key: to activate your paid version of Timeline Software, once installed, go to the menu: Help > Activate > Enter your License Key > Activate.
Microsoft SmartScreen protects users against installing potentially malicious files. This window blocks many legitimate applications as well. The SmartScreen warning always provides you with options to bypass the block: click on the “More Info” Button, then click on the “Run Anyway” Button.
- Mac OS X 10.15 Catalina or later (Intel Only).
- Windows XP, Window 7, Window 8, Windows 10 (Desktop & Tablet Mode).
- 1.6 GHz CPU or faster, 2-core. 2 GB RAM minimum (4 GB RAM recommended).
- Minimum free storage space 500Mb.
- Internet connection is required for license key activation.
Using Timeline Software
Click & Drag to move around by panning and scrolling. Also, Double-Click on a line to center that line in the screen.
In addition, use the interface buttons to navigate. Click “Home” to reset the view or to fit the Timeline File on screen. Click on the Arrows by the Time Controls to pan, and on the Double Arrows to zoom. Click on the Plus and Minus Signs to resize.
The Time Ruler starts at 1000 Yotta years ago and ends 1000 Yotta years in the future. Using Timeline Software, this timespan is available to navigate and to add events to. This corresponds to a timespan of is a septillion years, or 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 years. You may try to approach the start or end of the Time Ruler and have some fun!
The Time Controls tell you the moment in time your screen is currently focused on. A tiny arrow in the Time Ruler indicates the exact point in time. This tiny arrow can be moved along the Time Ruler.
Current available sources:
- Encyclopedia Britannica
- Merriam Webster Online
- Smithsonian Institution
- International Commission on Stratigraphy
Import, Export & Print
Importing is supported for .csv files (Comma Separated Value). However, this functionality is currently of limited use. Please, ask us for a Custom Timeline if you want to import data and create timelines of your own.
Exporting pictures to .jpg and .png formats is supported.
Yes. Timeline Software supports printing from within the application. You can configure settings in the Print Preview Screen, such as number of pages, paper size and orientation, page margins, etc.
To increase a timeline’s canvas length, click the Unlock Button and then zoom in. This button unlocks the canvas – screen length proportion, which is 1:1 by default. When unlocked, you can increase or reduce the canvas length, regardless of your computer screen size and proportions. You may lock the canvas at a certain length of your choice, such as 3:1. After using this feature, reset the canvas – screen length proportions to 1:1 and lock again. WARNING: on large files, this feature may slow down your computer!
As a rule, subscriptions provide free unrestricted personal use of Timelines Files. Professional and Perpetual licenses grant substantial internal distribution permissions. Click here to read about each subscription license terms. For extended and public distribution permissions, please Contact Us or write us at email@example.com.
Subscriptions & Payments
You must deactivate your license key from the retiring computer, then activate it on your new computer. Follow the steps in Timeline Software Menu: Help > Activate > Deactivate
Follow the steps on the website: Login > My Account > My Subscriptions > View > Cancel Subscription. This option may not be available for recently purchased subscriptions. Please, Contact Us to cancel a recently purchased subscription.
If you paid using PayPal, subscriptions are also managed at Paypal.com. You can cancel your subscription at Login > Settings > Payments > Manage Recurring Payments.
You can use Paypal, and Credit Card with Paypal processing to pay for your order. For Professional, Perpetual, or multiple subscriptions, we can accept payments by international bank transfer. Please, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org telling us your desired subscription plan and we’ll email you payment instructions.
Subscriptions include a 30 days money-back guarantee for Timeline Software issues that prevent installation and the normal use of the software. Before requesting a refund, you must Contact Support. Refunds will be granted if the issue cannot be resolved. Refunds will be paid using the same payment method as the initial purchase.
Technical Support & Feedback
Currently, the Time Ruler displays the year zero CE (Common/Christian Era). This year did not exist. In fact, year one BCE (Before Common/Christian Era) was followed by year one CE. This artificial year zero is a gap produced by the Time Ruler internal calculation needs.
Software Updates & Release History
Version 1.0.0 New Features
- Menu icons face-lift.
- Fixed overlapping timeruler units.
- Timeline canvas size limits set to 65k pixels.
- Added right-click menu options.
Version 0.9.5 New Features
- Fixed bug on lines width.
- Enhanced zoom speed control.
- Added full screen toggle.
- Date tooltip display enhancements.
- Added export picture.
Version 0.9.4 New Features
- Multiple fonts for item names.
- Improve file loading speed.
- Brand-new language module for translations.
- Introduced drag & drop panning.
- Enhanced item selection and color display of the selection.